I'm thankful for the CDC

Last night, I stumbled across a link to this piece:


Somehow I read all the way through it before I saw who had written it. Then it all made sense. Like a bad penny, Betsy McCaughey, turns up yet again. Since it's a holiday and I would prefer to stay in a joyful mood, I won't write anything about her, but refer you here to see our previous postings about her.

So on this Thanksgiving Day, I'm thankful for the CDC. Over the course of my career, I have come to know many people who work there, particularly in the hospital infections group. They are simply a great bunch--smart, hard-working, dedicated people who do great work with little recognition. The CDC has been working in the area of healthcare associated infections for over four decades and it's difficult to imagine what healthcare epidemiology would look like today were it not for these folks.


Comments

  1. Mike,
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    But, Newsmax? Be careful, I'm pretty sure that site kills brain cells.

    jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    Thanks for your comment. I agree. I know we have a long way to go in battling infections, but where would we be without CDC's guidance over the last decade? Where would we be without the federal attention, the HICPAC guidelines, ARRA funding, NHSN database access for reporting, etc, etc.? The list to be thankful for is very long.

    Due to extreme financial onstraints many states would have made very little progress in their HAI state programs without the CDC's guidance, funding, and support.

    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Julie Regan
    HAI Focus
    Http://www.haifocus.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Jason, I did lose some neurons opening that web site.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for submitting your comment to the Controversies blog. To reduce spam, all comments will be reviewed by the blog moderator prior to publishing. However, all legitimate comments will be published, whether they agree with or oppose the content of the post.

Most Read Posts (Last 30 Days)