Love song to America?

This week I attended the 2017 ECCMID planning meeting in Rome. It's going to be a great meeting if the ~5000 abstracts we reviewed and slotted are any indication. I hope you're able to make it to Vienna this April. Of course, when not debating where to slot an abstract - podium, poster, mini-oral e-poster or e-poster, many of my European colleagues asked me about the state of affairs in the US and the world. I didn't have much to say since I've heretofore lived my life by two simple rules: "never get involved in a land war in Asia" and "never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line." I simply don't have much opinion on amassing troops in Poland other than it didn't end well in the 1930s. So, most of the conversations went like this:

ECCMID colleague: "wtf?"

Me: "wtf."

ECCMID colleague: "WTF?"

Me: "WTF!"

On my taxi ride to Fiumicino Airport, Lady Gaga's "Million Reasons" was playing on the radio and it seemed to sum up how I feel about the current situation in the US. The song was released on November 9th...I wonder. And if you say something that you might even mean - It's hard to even fathom which parts I should believe... With all that's going on, many are looking for one good reason to stay

Comments

Most Read Posts (Last 30 Days)