No MRSA on Gym Equipment!?!

Modern Torture Devices
Some days when I'm tired, I don't feel like going to the gym. As someone who follows the IC literature, I always had a ready excuse for myself and others if I didn't want to go.  Too risky!  I don't want to catch MRSA, haven't you read the papers?

So I was depressed when I saw the headline this morning about a new study in AJIC from the University of Florida that found no MSSA and no MRSA on gym equipment surfaces before or after routine cleaning. They sampled 3 gyms (private, high school and university) on 3 separate occasions and obtained 240 samples. They swabbed gyms mats, benches, dumbells, cardio machines and weight machines. Oh well, back to the drawing board...and back to the gym.

Kathleen Ryan et al. AJIC March 2011

The Suncoast News - March 9, 2011

Comments

  1. A few years ago we did a study where we cultured 100 pieces of equipment in the university gym on our medical campus, which is used by healthcare workers and health sciences students. I was certain we would find MRSA, but not a single culture was positive. However, I do think I have picked up a few viral URIs from gym equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for submitting your comment to the Controversies blog. To reduce spam, all comments will be reviewed by the blog moderator prior to publishing. However, all legitimate comments will be published, whether they agree with or oppose the content of the post.

Most Read Posts (Last 30 Days)