20 years ago, Magic Johnson changed the AIDS epidemic


Twenty years ago, Magic Johnson announced his retirement from the NBA because of HIV infection.  I remember that moment well. I was in medical school and we all knew that HIV could infect all people.  However, at the time little national attention was given to the broad risks of the disease, since the general public and politicians thought that only homosexuals, Haitians, hemophiliacs and heroin addicts (the 4 H's) could contract the virus.

Magic's honesty and subsequent appointment to the National Commission on AIDS changed the whole discourse. Magic didn't have to do what he did.  He didn't have to go public. He could have retired and probably lived his life. He took a risk and it paid off for all those with HIV and AIDS. Back then, we all thought this was a death sentence for Magic, like it was for so many before him. Magic's role in changing the conversation probably saved his life and certainly saved many other lives. Thanks Magic.

Personal note:  My med-school friend's (Laura Jana) mother, Dr. June Osborn, was the chair of the National Commission on AIDS and played a significant role in getting Magic appointed to Commission and assisted Magic as he framed his message.  At the time she said "there is no question in my mind that Magic Johnson has achieved a breakthrough that will result in a fundamental sea change. I have been frantic to get the message across to children and youth, and I know damn well that I can't do it. He can." June has been a wonderful mentor to me over the years and I'm proud to know someone, such as June, who has made such an important public health contribution.

Comments

Most Read Posts (Last 30 Days)