Monday, August 13, 2012

Should I accept this abstract?

I’ve been reviewing scientific abstracts for IDWeek, which is how I know that there is going to be a lot of excellent work presented there—if you haven’t registered, do so now!

During my review, I ran across the very succinct abstract below (I’m not making this up).

I suspect this one might not make the cut (we require a more detailed data summary). Sadly, it does sum up quite a lot of the hospital infection prevention literature.  On a positive note, what makes much of the work being presented in San Diego worth hearing is the slow but steady progress our discipline is making in study design and analysis.


3 comments:

  1. Actually, I'd be very tempted to say you should accept it just to see what kind of poster they could make out of that. Plus, everybody loves a group with a good sense of self-deprecating humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sum much of it up - for patient safety too. Because it's not always repeatable, because it's not like physics. Studies in hospitals and healthcare in general that don't involve 1 vs. 0 things like taking a med are almost always confounded in some way - known or unknown. Many working in this field who find this frustrating can be said to be suffering from "physics envy". (this term can be Googled)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be lying if I said this didn't make my laugh a little.
    It's a sad truth.

    ReplyDelete