Let's get a grip....

For this hospital epidemiologist it looks like this will turn out to be another week consumed by H1N1. The number of questions regarding who to test, who to treat, how to isolate, and which mask to wear seem to be accelerating. And in the midst of this pandemonium, there is something discomforting about all of this that makes me wonder whether my reality testing is intact. Whenever I get those feelings, I head for the data so that I can determine if I have lost my mind. So below are two important graphs from the most recent data release from CDC (week ending September 5):

In a nutshell, outpatient visits for influenza like illness are higher than expected for this time of year, while deaths due to pneumonia and influenza are lower than expected. That's right--lower than expected! Thus, we have lots of people with mild disease. We're acting as if this has never happened before, and as Dan noted in an email to me earlier today, that we have to create a zero-risk environment for this mild infection. Meanwhile, the usual work we do to prevent important healthcare associated infections with high attributable mortality is set aside, so we can respond to the H1N1 "emergency." But in a world of 24/7 news and daily CDC teleconferences, is it any wonder that we find ourselves in this situation?

OK, I'd like to write more but it's time to get ready for my next H1N1 meeting...

Comments

Most Read Posts (Last 30 Days)